Life and Money Headline Animator

ShareThis

Tuesday

Luck or what

Luck or What?

Normally people like to talk about there success stories, especially if they are related to how they scored over a hot chick or how they doubled or tripled their money by picking a hot stock.

Let me do just the opposite. Since I am yet to find a ten bagger (a stock that multiples 10 times after you buy it) let me tell you about one I missed.

In early 2002 I was fairly convinced that the market for watches in India is going to expand and people will be paying a premium for good quality fashionable watches. My logic was that nobody buys a watch to look time as they can look time in there mobile phones easily so what is the point of buying a watch. (Personally I have never bought a watch). Since watches ceased to be a utility item the manufacturers had no option but to move towards positioning there watches as a premium lifestyle item. Anything that is positioned as a premium is bound to fetch higher margins for the company selling it.

So I decided to go and buy stocks in watch companies. At that time I identified 2 companies as worthy of investment

A) Titan Industries

B) Timex Watches.

I invested equal amount in both the companies and almost forgot about the same. I needed some money after 2 years and decided to sell Titan and retain stocks of Times. Rest as they say is history. Titan went on to become one of the biggest gainers in next 8 years multiplying money more than 30 times. Mind you Timex also did fairly well and multiplied money 3 times over next 8 years. But 30 times is definitely many times more than 3 times. The difference is phenomenal and one wonders how much individual genius was in the whole process and how much part was played by luck in this whole saga. I some time wonder what would I have done had I sold Timex and retained Titan? Sour grapes? Maybe, but next time I will try to be more careful try not to sell my winners too soon.

Thanks for reading, please do leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment