Never to shy away from a challenge I started my first day without cash, with just 4 Rs 50 notes in my pocket for any emergencies.
- Went to petrol pump and got the tank filled, paid by my Credit Card (2900). As there is no surcharge on this credit card I was happy to pay by credit card.
- Wanted to get the air checked in the tires of the car. But did not have change in pocket to give to the pump boy, so skipped it. (Is this cheating on the challenge? I guess it is only postponing something not urgent)
- Went out for cup of T with my colleagues at the famous T stall. He accepts only cash and Sodexho coupons. So allowed my colleague to pay as I am on a cashless existence. I am sure he believes this is one of my cheap tricks and not a true experiment with life and money.
- The maid’s salary was due. She accepts only cash. I tried to convince her to take check and promised to give her 100/- more if she takes check. But she informed me she does not have a bank account so will take only cash.
- Then came the car cleaning guy again cash only transaction. On my explaining to him that I do not have any cash today and may not have for a week. He looked at me with horror but offered to accept in form or some old T Shirts, and shoes provided he likes them. So I parted with some really nice barely worn T shirts which were too tight on my 80 kilo body, but are now hanging on his lean frame J. Long live the barter system. You clean my car and wear my T-Shirt in exchange. "Bloggers of the world Unite, you have nothing to loose but your Shirt"
- Took Sodexho coupons to the T Stall. (Technically they are not cash so I was ok with the same). The lady of the house thinks I am not taking the challenge in its true spirit.
· Bought some groceries using Credit Card, at the supermarket.
· Dinner with some visitors at a nice restaurant, wanted to add Tip in the Credit Card slip. But remembered what one of my friends in food business told me, a lot of staff do not receive tips given in this form. So reluctantly parted with 2 Fifty rupee notes. ( Hey I go there often and do not want to discover a roach in my soup)
· Princess wanted to buy some potato chips from the grocery store in the basement of the building and this guy is a cash only business, coming after office I just did not had energy to fight with a kid who can scream on need, with no regards to the gazals being played at full volume at our neighbor’s house. So parted with another Rs 50 note.
Day 6 and 7
· “Hey did we not talked about the work week? Oh I did not mentioned that in the beginning?, well I am mentioning it now!… thus went the argument with Mrs. P. Never seen her grinning this wide not even on the day when her dad agreed for our marriage.
Thus my little experiment with Life and money ended. With Mrs. P smiling and telling me “ Told you So” .
But guys in all fairness if you see wherever I got stuck for cash was small transactions less than 500/- except for the salary of maid, and that poor women does not have a bank account, due to not having an ID proof. That topic needs a blog post of its own..
Thanks for reading, would love to hear from you.